Saturday, October 15, 2005

Holga Fever... It's Contagious!

"Holga, photography was never this fun!" I said, as Jacqui posed, ready for camera combat.

What do two journalist do for fun on a Saturday morning? Buy a Holga and find out. Ever since I got mine, well, it's no secret that I've been a little crazy, but it's only because I'm having so much fun. My best friend Jacqui, who's a writer, and a creative "tour d' force," decided she wanted to see what all the excitement is all about. We went to the camera store, and she picked out a Holga of her very own. I bought more film.. it's my bad habit now.
When we got back to her house, it was time to play, we laughed so hard while she was figuring out her camera, and mine was malfunctioning, well, I was malfunctioning, I didn't reset my flash. The unpredictable nature of the camera, I find every picture is a surprise. Most of my shots were missed up, over-exposed.. but I got a handle on it and then I was back in business.

There are obvious differences between digital and film, but what's rewarding is that I have to work very hard to get a good image. That doesn't mean I'm a bad photographer, it just means that I have been spoiled by the digital easy come, easy go imaging. Now, when I take a bad image, it literally costs me about one dollar. Ouch! Does that mean that I'm a masochist? If it does, I took a beating today.

No comments:

Tammy Abbott

My photo
Photojournalism is my passion, it's an amazing way to see and experience the world. I don't know if what I do will ever have a greater meaning then to fill the pages of daily newspapers. I've seen and felt first hand how important it is to approach the subject of my lense with kindness, respect and honesty. My background is in art and music. If I could express my feelings about life it would be embodied in the song made famous by Louis Armstrong, written by George Weiss and Thiele, "What A Wonderful World."

Followers