Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Her Trophy


"Do my eyes match my car?" I met Rita while having my car repaired, not expecting much more Wednesday morning then a handshake with Bear. Rita came into the waiting room, full of conversation and full of life. As we talked, she began to tell me the story of her Mercedes, the she won it on a bet from he beloved husband.
As an avid golfer, Rita was with her husband and some friends when she did the impossible, or so they thought. Thirty years ago, playing a game of golf up at Hanson Dam, she was on the outside, and was offered by her Husband the bet that if she made the shot, she could have anything she wanted. Much to everyone's surprise, she sank the ball into the hole and at dinner that evening was asked what she wanted. "I want a 450 SL," Rita said. Shocked and surprised by her request, her husband asked if she knew how much it costs? He told her it was approximately, $14,000. The next day he honored his bet and took her to buy the car.

She couldn't make up her mind on the color and so she asked the salesman as she put her head down on the fender, "do my eyes match the car?" Rita said. They did, and the car is still hers, her trophy.
More images to come of Rita and her Green 450 SL.

No comments:

Tammy Abbott

My photo
Photojournalism is my passion, it's an amazing way to see and experience the world. I don't know if what I do will ever have a greater meaning then to fill the pages of daily newspapers. I've seen and felt first hand how important it is to approach the subject of my lense with kindness, respect and honesty. My background is in art and music. If I could express my feelings about life it would be embodied in the song made famous by Louis Armstrong, written by George Weiss and Thiele, "What A Wonderful World."

Followers